Search

Community

Here you will find forums and other resources to enable you to connect with others in the school nutrition profession. 

If there is a forum you would like to see here, we welcome your feedback. Please email webmaster@schoolnutrition.org with your suggestions.

RSS Feed Print
Unpaid Lunch Charges
JoAnne Robinett
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 12:26 PM

In my district the issue of negative balances is getting a lot of discussion with the principals.  I would like to hear from you about whether or not your district admin teams plays a part in helping collect the unpaid charges.  Our principals and building secretaries have helped at the elementary level in the past.  However, as the list grows, they say they do not have the time to help out.  Some will threaten to hold report cards, some do nothing.  We are looking into an automated calling system - if any of you have used that please share your feedback.

Becky Domokos-Bays
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 12:30 PM

Joanne,  in Alexandria we use Voice Messenger to phone our parents (elementary only) when they get down to 2 meals, 1 meal etc..  We also can email them if they prefer that.  Very successful and worth every penny.  We do ERP, so only paid children come with no lunch money.  We do not allow charges-kids who come with no money get either a school made pb and jelly w/ milk or cheese sandwich/milk.  We charge the principal at the end of the month for the number of loaves of bread, pb and jelly, and milk we use.  School office decides whether they use PTA funds or they send out notices to get the fund replenished.  Since we call parents and remind students, I feel we have done everything we can possibly do.

One caveat w/ the voice system: the phone number is the one parents list as the main contact number-you will be surprised at how many wrong numbers you have.  Good luck.

Charles Otis
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2:48 PM

In my district we send letters home to the parents about the balances that students owe on their accounts
Charles Otis
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2:49 PM

In my county wich is Sumter County in Alabama we are on the provision II where students don't pay for lunches but we as managers have to make up the different by sellin more ala cart items

Average 0 out of 5

Contact Us Advertise on SNA Site Map Media Center Privacy Policy

© 2000 - 2014 School Nutrition Association, All Rights Reserved