RSS Feed Print
Food Revolution
Anita Cowan
Posted: Monday, March 22, 6:36 AM

What a great way to make parents aware that we care about what our school meals consist of.  We are not just here feeding their kids, we are working hard to make sure they have options and healthy choices that could influnce what they eat when they grow up.  Great show.

Darrel Davis
Posted: Monday, March 29, 12:29 PM

I did see that he had no idea about the standards the schools have to follow and he didn't follow the meal plan in that he didn't include a grain with his meal that almost all the students threw in the garbage!  I do agree to give kids healthy meals but they have to be healthy meals the students will eat and not just throw in the garbage because that is not helping anyone and is very wasteful.   Some of the products schools serve are specifically designed for Child Nutrtion (CN label) and he basically said he didn't believe that pizza was whole grain!!  If its the same pizza our school serves, yes it is whole grain and low in fat!  The school where I work do meet all the guidelines under the NSLP.   I also noticed that he spent twice as much money on food that was in the budget.  Not many people can make a healthy meal for around $1.50 which is what my school does right now, and that is just food costs, not to mention the labor costs and energy costs of preparing meals for 1600 students and staff each day.  If parents are willing to pay $5 to $6 for a school meal we can open a resturant that serves the type of food that Mr. Oliver wants but if the students will throw it away anyway, who does that benefit??  NOBODY!

I also don't see teachers giving up their lunch/open periods to stand in the lunch room and teach K-3 graders how to use knives.  Most schools are crunched for time in a school day and if you give 23-26 minutes per lunch period for 200 students that isn't a whole lot of time to get a meal served, consumed and then give the staff time to do dishes and restock for the next group....we do that 3 times at my schools and 23-26 minutes is hardly enough time. 

Parents need to spend a day in a school foodservice professionals shoes and see what they have to deal with each day.  Getting out 1600 meals each day isn't easy when you have 2 central kitchens and have to satlite food to 4 elementary schools each day.  Not all of the schools have a nice kitchen in them like the one Mr. Oliver was at. 

Darrel Davis
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 11:52 AM

I also heard Mr. Oliver say that a days worth of Chocolate milk has more sugar in it than soda....here are your facts Mr. Oliver as reported by the "Got Milk Campaign"  I have a copy of it right in front of me!

Chocolate milk has 12 grams of added Sugars

Soda has 26 Grams of added Sugars

I guess Mr. Oliver should check his facts before he spouts off!  ONly way it would have more is if a child drank 3 chocolate milk's for one meal. 

Iris Collins
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 4:17 PM

I just watched Jamie Olivers' first episode and I applaud what he is trying to do.  Is it realistic?  I am a Food Service Manager in a middle school and I know first hand the issues with "the system".  I know the principal and nutritionist are bound by guidelines, but they need to give him some support.  Help him out a little.  Although, Jamie also needs to get all his information before he tries to change something.  None of us are perfect, but we are all (I hope) supporters of healthy meals.  Yes, we need to make sure the kids will eat, but we can find a healthy version of their favorite foods.  Our pizza is whole grain and low fat too. 

Darrel Davis
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 1:17 PM

I agree with you Iris....I do think they need to at least let him know the guidelines school meals have to follow.  I still do not think he can cook the meals he is doing under budget.  Also I don't know how many school kitchens have sautee' stoves like the one he is using for the stir fry he keeps cooking, every single episode...that still have lots of fat(oil) and salt(soy sauce) in it.  I applaude his efforts but most of his efforts should be going into helping the parents at home and convincing the fast food industry and restaurant industry to cook healthy also because otherwise the few healthy meals we provide will be for not!