Additional Bowl Recipes
Chicken Stir-Fry With Vegetables
YIELD: 160 servings
PER SERVING: 161 cal., 21 g pro., 14 g carb., 3 g fiber, 3 g fat, 1 g sat. fat, 51 mg chol., 661 mg sod., 1 mg iron, 64 mg ca.
- Cabbage, raw—8 lbs.
- Carrots, raw—8 lbs.
- Baby corn, canned—1 #10 can
- Broccoli, raw—20 lbs.
- Ginger root, raw—1/2 cup
- Garlic, raw—10 cloves
- Vegetable oil—2 Tbsps.
- Soy sauce—1 qt.
- Pineapple, juice, canned—1 1/2 qts.
- Orange juice, from concentrate—1 1/2 qts.
- Honey—1/4 cup
- Cornstarch—2 Tbsps.
- Chicken, grilled—25 lbs.
- Wash and shred the cabbage and carrots. Wash and chop the broccoli. Mix with carrots, cabbage and baby corn. Set aside.
- Chop the garlic and grate the ginger. Sauté in the oil for 3 minutes.
- Add the soy sauce, pineapple juice (from the canned pineapple), orange juice and honey. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Make a slurry with the cornstarch in water. Add to the juice mixture. Bring to a boil; simmer until slightly thick (about 20 minutes).
- Steam the chicken for approximately 10 minutes or until the product reaches a final cooking temperature of 165°F.
- Steam the vegetables for approximately 5 minutes or until crisp tender.
- Mix together 2 1/2 lbs. of chicken (about 2 qts.), 1 gal. of vegetables and 1 1/2 cups of sauce per serving pan.
- Hold at 140°F for service. For each portion: Serve 1 1/4 cups of the stir-fry mix over 1/2 cup of the steamed brown rice.
Recipe & recipe analysis: Trish Molloy, RD, nutrition services operations manager, West Hartford (Conn.) Public Schools Nutrition Services, member of School Nutrition’s Kitchen Wisdom Panel, http://whps.org/offices/nutrition_services
*Notes: This recipe was suggested by Molloy as a variation on the Teriyaki Soy Rice Bowl included on page 52 of the February 2013 print edition. Molloy notes that 1 1/4 cups of this recipe meets the requirements for one bread, 2 ozs. protein and 1/2 cup vegetables.
Turkey and Vegetable Rice Bowl
YIELD: 52 servings
PER SERVING: 210 cal., 15 g pro., 26 g carb., 2 g fiber, 6 g fat, 2 g sat. fat, 30 mg chol., 390 mg sod.
- Water, hot (190°F)—3 qts.
- Rice, brown, roasted chicken-flavored*—2 boxes
- Cooking spray—as needed
- Yellow onion—26 ozs.
- Turkey, ground, lean—6 1/2 lbs.
- Tomatoes, diced, canned, in juice—104 ozs.
- Peas-and-carrots blend, frozen—52 ozs.
- Chop the onion into small diced pieces. Drain the diced tomatoes. Thaw the peas-and-carrots blend.
- Combine the hot water and contents of the rice seasoning packet in a deep full-size steamtable pan. Stir well to disperse the seasoning in the water. Add the rice and mix well.
- Cover and bake in a preheated 400°F conventional oven for 25 minutes or until most of the water is absorbed by the rice.
- Stir the rice well. Fluff with a fork prior to portioning to obtain the maximum yield. Keep warm.
- Coat a flat top or large skillet with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add the onions and sauté until soft. Add the ground turkey and cook until brown, stirring occasionally. Add the tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes. Toss in the peas-and-carrots blend and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Keep warm.
- For each serving: Portion 1/2 cup of rice into a bowl. Top with 3/4 cup of the turkey-and-vegetable mixture.
Photo, recipe & recipe analysis: Uncle Ben’s, www.unclebens.com
*Notes: Uncle Ben’s Roasted Chicken Flavored Brown Rice may be used for this recipe. The peas-and-carrots blend can be substituted with other frozen vegetables, such as broccoli or zucchini. Consider adding fresh or dry herbs, such as rosemary or thyme, for extra flavor without adding sodium. Ground turkey can be shaped into meatballs and browned separately to offer variety in appearance and texture. According to the company: One serving provides 1/2 cup bread/grain serving, 1/2 cup vegetable and 2 ozs. meat/meat alternate.
Taco Bowl Soup
YIELD: 50 servings
PER SERVING: 246 cal., 19 g pro., 19 g carb., 3 g fiber, 11 g fat, 5 g sat. fat, 62 mg chol., 834 mg sod., 2 mg iron, 138 mg ca.
- Tomato soup, condensed—3 50-oz. cans
- Water—4 1/2 qts. + 3/4 cup
- Turkey, ground—5 lbs.
- Taco seasoning, prepared—3 3/4 ozs.
- Onions—1 lb. + 9 ozs.
- Peppers, bell, red and green—1 lb. + 9 ozs.
- Black beans—1 lb. + 9 ozs.
- Tomatoes, canned, undrained—1 lb. + 9 ozs.
- Cheddar cheese, shredded—1 lb. + 9 ozs.
- Dice the onions and red and green bell peppers. Drain and rinse the black beans.
- Prepare the soup according to the label directions, using the amount of water specified in this recipe.
- In a separate pot, toss the ground turkey with the taco seasoning and cook thoroughly. Hold hot.
- In a pan, individually sauté the onions and peppers. Heat the other ingredients and hold hot.
- For each portion: Using a 12-oz. bowl, place: 1 1/2-ozs. cooked ground turkey, 1/2-oz. sautéed onions, 1/2-oz. sautéed bell peppers, 1/2-oz. black beans and 1/2-oz. diced tomatoes. Add 6 ozs. of the soup. Top with 1/2-oz. shredded cheese and serve immediately.
Recipe & recipe analysis: Campbell’s Foodservice, www.campbellsfoodservice.com/soupedup