May 2012: Bonus Ethnic Chicken Recipe
In the May 2012 issue of School Nutrition, the article “‘Hen-Picked’ Specialties” by Cecily Walters examined the popularity of ethnic cuisine among all ages and offered a look at the intersection between chicken and the interest in global menu items. The article included recipes to try out in a K-12 setting. An additional recipe is included below.
Lo Mein With Chicken and Veggies
YIELD: 50 servings*
PER SERVING: 371 cal., 556 mg sod.
- Vegetable oil—3/4 cup
- Ginger, fresh—1/2 cup
- Garlic—1/2 cup
- Scallions—2 cups
- Chicken breasts—6 1/4 lbs.
- Cornstarch—1/2 cup
- Salt—4 tsps.
- Hoisin sauce—1 cup
- Soy sauce—1 cup
- Bok choy—8 qts.
- Carrots—4 qts.
- Peppers, red—1 qt.
- Edamame beans, shelled—1 qt.
- Sesame oil, toasted—3 Tbsps.
- Lo mein noodles—6 1/4 qts.
- Mince the ginger and garlic. Slice the scallions. Thinly slice the chicken, then coat it with cornstarch and season it with salt. Slice the bok choy. Julienne the carrots and peppers. Cook the edamame beans according to package instructions. Cook the lo mein noodles according to package instructions.
- Heat a wok or large sauté pan on high heat (for a large batch, use a tilt skillet). Add half of the vegetable oil, ginger, garlic, scallions and chicken. Stir-fry until the chicken is cooked through.
- Add the hoisin sauce and soy sauce. Stir-fry to coat the meat with the sauce. Remove from heat and keep warm.
- Stir-fry the bok choy, carrots and peppers until tender with a slight crunch. Add the edamame beans to warm through.
- Add the vegetables to the meat, drizzle with sesame oil and keep hot.
- Pour the other half of the vegetable oil over the noodles.
- For each serving: Serve the stir-fry with an 8-oz. scoop over 1/2 cup of noodles.
Photo, recipe & recipe analysis: Holy Cross Academy, Fredericksburg, Va., entrant in the Recipes for Healthy Kids 2011 Recipe Contest, sponsored by Let’s Move! in association with the U.S. Department of Agriculture, http://www.recipesforkidschallenge.com/submissions/939-lo-mein-with-chicken-and-veggies
*Note: If this recipe passes the test with a small group of students, conduct a complete nutrient analysis.