January 2012: Bonus Taco Recipe
The January 2012 issue of School Nutrition includes the debut of a new regular Food Focus feature: “Kitchen Wisdom Says…” is a highlighted recipe that has been reviewed, modified and/or tested by members of the magazine’s new corps of “Kitchen Wisdom” volunteers. These SNA members graciously have offered School Nutrition their K-12 operational expertise on the practical preparation and application of selected recipes. The Bonus Web Content below showcases a suggested modified version of the highlighted recipe.
If you enjoy exploring new recipes, we welcome more volunteers to join the Kitchen Wisdom panel! If you are an SNA member and work in a school or district foodservice operation, contact Assistant Editor Cecily Walters, email@example.com or (800) 877-8822 ext. 142, for more information.
Excellent Egg Tacos: Modification
YIELD: 42 servings
INGREDIENTS FOR TACO SEASONING (Makes 1/4 cup)
- Paprika—2 1/4 tsps.
- Chili powder—1 tsp.
- Salt—1 tsp.
- Black pepper—1/2 tsp.
- Garlic powder—1 1/4 tsps.
- Cumin—1/4 tsp.
INGREDIENTS FOR TACOS
- Eggs, liquid—6 lbs.
- Cheddar cheese, shredded—1 lb.
- Vegetable blend—fresh onion, green peppers and red peppers—1 1/4 cup
- Tortillas, flour, 6-in.—42
- Salsa, thick and chunky—2.5 qts.
- To prepare the taco seasoning: Blend the paprika, chili powder, salt, black pepper, garlic powder and cumin well in a small bowl. Set aside.
- To prepare the tacos: Heat a conventional oven to 300°F.
- Beat the eggs. Cook and scramble the eggs in small batches in a spray-coated or buttered pan over medium heat until firm throughout, with no visible liquid egg remaining.
- Stir in the taco seasoning, cheese and vegetable blend. Keep warm.
- Place the tortillas on a lined sheet pan.
- For each serving: Portion out 3/4 cup of the egg mixture onto one side of the tortilla, then fold the other side of the tortilla over.
- Bake for 5-8 minutes until the tacos are heated through.
- Serve warm with 2 ozs. of salsa per serving.
Original recipe: American Egg Board, www.aeb.org
Modified recipe: Ellamae Scott, foodservice manager, Broken Arrow Elementary School, Shawnee Mission (Kan.) School District