Hands-on activities make learning fun for students. Don't forget to practice good sanitation and safety!
For this activity you will need:
- Tortillas: corn, whole wheat, tomato, herb (one per student)
- Shredded cheese: cheddar, mozzarella, Swiss, American (about 1oz or slice/student)
- Fresh vegetables: shredded lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, green pepper (1 Tbls/student)
- Canned Beans: refried beans, black beans, kidney beans (2 Tbls/student)
- Meat: (cooked, shredded or sliced) chicken, ham, beef, turkey (1 oz or slice/student)
- Prepared Salsa (1 Tbls/student)
- Paper plates
- Plastic spoons for serving ingredients
Have students wash their hands, tables, and all surfaces that food will come in contact with.
- Place individual ingredients on plates, along with a serving spoon.
- Assemble the plates on a table, buffet style.
- Let students choose their own fillings. Have them place a small amount of the ingredients in a tortilla to make their wrap. Be sure to instruct them to place the ingredients near the edge of one side of the tortilla.
- Roll it up when all the desired fillings have been added.
- Do not let them use too much or too many ingredients. If the tortilla is too full, it will not roll.