Abundance of Healthy Foods and Beverages Exhibited at ANC 2005
July 19, 2005 - Almost 400 companies exhibited a wide variety of healthy food and beverage products at the School Nutrition Association’s Annual National Conference in Baltimore, Md. this week. On Monday, July 18, 2005, the largest school nutrition exhibit floor in SNA’s 59 year history opened its doors to over 3,700 school nutrition professionals looking to purchase products for their districts’ school meals.
Among the healthy products exhibited, and expected to appear in lunchrooms this fall:
- Fresh, ready-to-eat, prepackaged cut fruits and vegetables, including sliced carrots.
- Frozen pizzas with multigrain crusts and low-fat cheese and toppings, including those with specially patented whole-wheat crust that resembles the familiar refined flour dough.
- Whole grain and multigrain products including cereals, breads, buns and breaded chicken products and breaded corndogs made with whole grain batter.
- Convenient, nutritious breakfast foods including a turnkey breakfast kit, whole grain cereals and cereal bars, as well as organic cereals.
- A variety of flavors of 100% juices, 100% fruit juice smoothies and vitamin-fortified waters.
- A number of flavored and regular milks in 1% and fat free varieties for school vending machines.
- Individually packaged almonds, raisins and other nuts and dried fruits.
- Baked snacks with no trans fat and reduced overall fat content.
Attendees had a chance to visit “Produce Row,” two aisles of the 240,000 square foot exhibit floor dedicated to fruits and vegetables. This year a new “Dairy Way” aisle debuted - solely for dairy-based products. Nutrition education resources, point-of-sale software systems and programs and kitchen and cafeteria equipment were also on display.