On June 27, USDA FNS published an interim final rule for Competitive Foods titled, National School Lunch Program and School Breakfast Program: Nutrition Standards for All Foods Sold in School as required by the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010. SNA is in the process of reviewing and analyzing the rule, as well as determining next steps in response to the rule. This interim final rule amends the National School Lunch Program and School Breakfast Program regulations to establish nutrition standards for all foods sold in schools.
The proposed rule was initially released on February 1, 2013 and SNA submitted comments on March 25, 2013 in response for the call for comment to the proposed rule. These comments were prepared by a competitive foods task force assembled by SNA comprised of operators from each region, and industry members.
The interim final rule was released on June 28, 2013 and SNA submitted comments on September 24, 2013 in response for the call for comment to the interim final rule.
You can read about the SNA Competitive Foods Task Force - Guiding Principles as well as the SNA Process of Developing Comments.
OFW Memo on Competitive Foods Rule: On February 8, 2013, the Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) of the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) issued a proposed rule entitled “Nutrition Standards for All Foods Sold in School as Required by the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010” (the proposed rule). The proposed rule can be found at http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2013-02-08/pdf/2013-02584.pdf. OFW has drafted a memo intended to provide background for the proposed rule, a detailed review of the proposed rule, and a discussion of how this rule compares with existing state and local standards, including the HealthierUS School Challenge Program offered by FNS.
SNA in the News on Competitive Foods
- June 27, 2013: USA Today, Junk Food Getting Canned in Schools, Nanci Hellmich
- June 27, 2013: The New York Times, U.S. Standards for School Snacks Move Beyond Cafeteria to Fight Obesity, Ron Nixon
- June 27, 2013: CBS News, USDA Replacing Junk Food in Schools with “Smart Snacks," Michelle Castillo
- June 27, 2013: Chicago Tribune, New School Snack Food Rules Clamp Down on Calories, Fat, Yasmeen Abutaleb, Reuters
- June 27, 2013: NBC News, New Rules Make School a Junk Food-Free Zone, Mary Clare Jalonick, The AP
- June 27, 2013: Education Week, Rules for School Vending Machines, Snacks Unveiled, Nirvi Shah
- June 27, 2013: The Hill, USDA Targets Candy, Cola in New School Nutrition Regulations, Ben Goad
For Members Only:
Click here for members-only resources to help with your understanding of the competitive foods rule.